tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 18 08:55:54 1999

RE: Klingon WOTD: pe''egh (v)

pagh:
> Also, now would be a good time to bring up the Klingon idiom
> for keeping score: <pe''egh> - literally "cut oneself".

qa'ral:
: I suppose the game is over when the scorekeeper passes out from loss of
blood.
:
: Quj mevlu'law' reghchu'pu'DI' pe''eghwI'. ghIq QIDHom lutoghlu' 'ej QapwI'
: lungu'lu'.

*Moskva* Dabbogh qa'ralvaD latlhpu'vaD je, <<tlhIngan tIgh>> paqDaq mu'vam
QIjpu' Okrand:

  potlhbe'chugh yay qatlh pe''eghlu'?
  If winning is not important, then why keep score?  TKW

  "It comes from an old Klingon habit of keeping track of
  accomplishments by making small cuts on one's skin, usually
  on the face, as a tally."  (TKW p.135)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons