tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 13 08:40:42 1999

Re: KLBC Intro: Part two

> Meanwhile, look in TKD on
> page 66 in the last sentence of the second paragraph: "In
> complex sentences of this type, the second verb never takes an
> aspect suffix (section 4.2.7)." We don't like this rule, and
> Okrand has broken it in some of his own examples, but we do
> follow it whenever we think of it, and specifically in your
> example as in most examples, it is not necessary.

Fellow Klingonists!  Join me in establishing the "I LIKE the 'No Type 7 on
the Second Verb'" Institute!  Save this unhappy and oft-beleaguered
grammatical rule from unnatural extinction!  Preserve with me the integrity
of wondrous grammatical arbitrariness!

In other words, stop knocking this rule, Grammarians!  It IS necessary, it
ISN'T horrible, and you'll make the beginners ignore it because they'll
think it's optional.

Besides, I happen to like it.

SuStel
Stardate 99867.7