tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 11 19:05:06 1999

Re: KLBC: Irish Hol qaDHom

<< While listening to an Irish language instructional tape, I heard a phrase
 that sounded somewhat Klingon. I don't remember the Irish well enough to
 include it, but here's the English: "A story requires a drink".

 The challenge is to translate it into Klingon. Keep in mind that Klingon has
 no word for "drink".

 pagh
 Beginners' Grammarian >>

I spoke with someone regarding the Irish tradition from which this axiom
derives. It seems that one who is known to be a great teller of tales is
often plied with a good beverage to share a story with gathered friends...as
in:
"Tell us that story about ..."
"Well, me mouth is a bit dry...."
"Barkeep! Bring a round for me friend here..."

Based on that, I offer another translation of the spirit of the message:

neH jabtaHDI' HIq QaQ  ja''laHlI' lutmey Dun.

"Great stories can be told only while good liquor is being served."

Your opinion?

juDmoS

Back to archive top level