tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 05 14:16:29 1999

RE: KLBC: Undoubtedly continue to..

jatlh ~mark:

> I have to admit that I still do want to be able to
> say {verenganmo' HoD vIHoHbe'} to mean "It wasn't
> because of the Ferengi that I killed that captain
> (though I did, in fact, kill him)"... PROVIDED the
> context is present.  The audience would have to
> know that I really did (or did not) kill the
> captain and the -mo' phrase would then be
> supplying the reason why I did (or did not).

Wow. I know this is a parallel of the <batlh bIHeghbe'>, but even with the
right context, my reaction to this would be <'ach HoD DaHoHbej! qatlh
verengan Dogh Daqel jay'?>. I would have to say something like <HoD
muHoHmoHbe' verengan>.

<batlh bIHeghbe'> is an isolated example, and I like to be very careful in
extrapolating from it. Perhaps <batlh Hegh> is a special Klingon sentiment
that gets thought of as atomic, while other combinations like <batlh vang>
do not. Since this phrase likely came about at a holiday meal, perhaps the
speaker was a wee bit inebriated and made a boo boo, which we continue to
use because it is tradition.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ