tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 24 15:45:17 1999

Re: lIchopbe'chugh ghewmey!

In a message dated 5/16/1999 3:06:40 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

<< If this is so, the guard {'avwI'} in the joke is telling the offworlder,
 "[Yes,] If the cops don't arrest you (first)!"  This may be funny because (1)
 the offworlder isn't expected to know what this means, and (2) it is in fact
 coming from an {'avwI'} - which Okrand tends to treat as a police officer.

 Perhaps his thinking is that {'avwI'pu'} guard the citizenry, or the city,
 as a
 whole.  We know that they guard prisoners on Rura Penthe, Kesla is
 described as
 being one in TKW, and there was one at Kronos passport control in CK >>
Thanks.  Just to add another pun:  the word for "arrest" is {qop}.  I wonder
whom Klingons are referring to when they say {qopwI'}.

peHruS

Back to archive top level