tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 13 09:36:53 1999

Re: SachtaH Holmaj!

<< jatlhmeH mIwmey qel wa' nav. >>

peHruS:
: Just a question about using the verb prefix {lu-}. Would it fit on
: {jatlh} in the sentence above? Would the entire phrase <> be considered
: a singular object in tlhIngan Hol?

SuStel:
: jatlhmeH mIwmey qel wa' nav.
: One paper considers speaking procedures.
:
: lujatlhmeH mIwmey qel wa' nav.
: In order that they (someone?) speak it, one paper considers procedures.
:
: This looks messy.  What "entire phrase" were you thinking of?

I think that peHruS is confused by the phrase {jatlhmeH mIwmey} "speaking
procedures".  The plural noun {mIwmey} is not the subject of the dependent
verb {jatlh} but the plural object of the main verb {qel}.  The subject of
{jatlh} is an unstated "he/she/they" (requiring a zero verb prefix).
{jatlh} has no object; if it did, it would read:

  tlhIngan Hol jatlhmeH mIwmey qel wa' nav.
  One paper considers procedures for speaking Klingon.

When you get confused by long or compound sentences, it helps to strip
them
down to the OVS skeleton to see the underlying structure:

  mIwmey qel nav.
  A/The paper considers procedures.

Then add the modifiers one at a time to see how the pieces fit together:

  mIwmey qel wa' nav.
  One paper considers procedures.

  jatlhmeH mIwmey qel wa' nav.
  One paper considers procedures for speaking.

  Hol jatlhmeH mIwmey qel wa' nav.
  One paper considers procedures for speaking the language.

  tlhIngan Hol jatlhmeH mIwmey qel wa' nav.
  One paper considers procedures for speaking the Klingon language.

BTW, this technique works when learning any language.  (My high school
Russian teacher taught it to me.)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons