tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 06 16:52:28 1999

Re: translating a book title

ja' Voragh:

>  ...('op tlheghmey vInop}...
> Technology and the 21st Century Battlefield
>
>  I came up with a few variants, but all look pretty clumsy in light of how
>  a series of nouns in Klingon are linked with a single {je} at the end:
> ...('op tlheghmey vInop}...
>
>    4. (tera') vatlh DIS poH cha'maH wa' che'ron cham je
> ...('op tlheghmey vInop}...
>
>  I'm partial to no. 4, which can mean "The 21st Century, the Battlefield,
>  and Technology" which would have been a good English title too.
>
>  A Klingon author would no doubt have used a verb to render something on
>  the order of "How will Technology Affect the 21st Century Battlefield?"
>
>  Opinions?

{chay' vatlh DIS poH cha'maH wa' che'ron choH cham?}

Or maybe instead of a question, a statement with two verbs and {'ej}:

{cham vIqel 'ej vatlh DIS poH cha'maH wa' che'ron DuH vIDel}

Here, would you read {DuH} first as a stative "possible battlefield(s)", or
as a noun "battlefield possibility(ies)?   Either way, I think it fits the
idea.

--jey'el

Back to archive top level