tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 31 09:59:01 1999

Re: loQ jIrop

At 09:26 AM 3/31/99 -0800, charghwI' wrote:
>I'm curious if anyone else had difficulty understanding this.
>cha'leS wa'ben bangwI' vItlhejchoH. I began to accompany my
>love a year ago two days from now. Is it really that odd?

I must admit I originally read it as {wa'ben bangwI'} "my one-year
lover" (like the {cha'vatlh ben HIq} example from the tapes).
So, I understood the sentence to read "The day after tomorrow,
I'll begin to accompany my lover of one year".

>Yes, I do recognize that you can overstretch this kind of
>specificity, but we have canon for using one time stamp as
>anchor for another, like {wa'Hu' ram} for "last night".

I'm not so sure your usage is wrong, maybe just unfamiliar.
I also think it reminded me too strongly of the {cha'vatlh
ben HIq} example for me to easily read it another way.
Maybe a different set of timestamps would be less ambiguous.

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level