tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 26 20:29:12 1999

Re: Order of ordinals

In a message dated 3/26/99 7:06:44 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

<<
 Here is where I stand:  Until MO gives us a reason to believe that he really
 means {wa'DIch} is okay to use adverbially by explaining it to be so, or by
 using it in other sentences enough that we know he intends it to be so, I
will
 refrain from copying this construction.

 peHruS

But what is an ordinal?  How do we know that the Klingon ordinal is the same
as the Chinese ordinal or the Swahili ordinal?  I've taken 12 linguistics
courses and I know what I'm talking about.  We must look through the languages
of the ancient Bush tribe that died out in the 16th century and the ancient
Phoenicians to gain a proper grasp of this concept.  How do we even know that
wa'DIch is an ordinal?  I have to see more examples from MO before I'll
believe it to be true.  Until then, I'll just use all numbers suffixed with
-DIch as adverbials until I can use them as ordinals.

T'Lod

(chIch jIqIDta'.  'Iv SaqawmoH?)

Back to archive top level