tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 26 20:00:30 1999

Re: qama'

In a message dated 3/26/99 4:39:32 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

<< reH bIyajlaHbe' 'e' vItlhojchu'.  The pronominal indication of subject of
the
 sentence is not the subject, I say again.  I am aware it is not.  You aren't
 getting it.  You are saying that the marker infixed into the verb is the
 subject.  I respectfully disagree.  Earlier you implied we should not be
 looking at other languages to understand better how Klingon works.  Again, I
 disagree.  Really disagree.  Only by understanding MO's terms when he gives
us
 Klingon grammar rules can we correctly use Klingon.

 Here's is what I "got":  In order to understand Klingon more deeply, I look
at
 many languages and see how the terms I read in TKD are used.  pab mu'mey
 Dayajqangbe'chugh, vaj tlhIngan Hol Dalo'Ha'bej.

 peHruS >>

Let me quote KGT p168 - "It is well known that Klingon pronominal prefixes
indicate both the subject and object of the verb."  Teh pronominal prefix
isn't the subject, only indicates it.  If there isn't any stated subject, then
it can be used for that purpose.  If you need to elucidate further, specify
the subject by including a noun there.  If not, oh darn.  The subject is
implied and could be figured out by the context of the conversation.  In order
to understand how Klingon works, we should looks only to TKD and KGT.  These
are the only books we need.  HolQeD is also a useful source for finer points
of usage.  I don't need to know Russian lack of definite articles and the
nominative, genitive, dative, accusative system to understand how Klingon
marks its subjects and objects.  All I looked at were TKD and KGT, and TKW,
and I got it.  It was that easy.

T'Lod

Back to archive top level