tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 25 17:42:28 1999

RE: KLBC jIHaDtaH

This one got pushed to the bottom of the pile, so it took a while to answer.
jagh DajeymeH nIteb yISuvrup.

jatlh Tony:

> I am working but I don't have any direction
> jIvumtaH 'ach ra' vIghajbe"

> *ra'* vIlo' 'ach jIlughbe'
> *ra'* I am not correct in how I use this

This is an example where a verb would be *much* better than a noun. <ra'>
does not work here - it's a verb, so you can't use it as a noun. Better to
use it as a verb:

jIvumtaH 'ach vIra'lu'be'.

I would guess, though, that "I have no direction" means that not only do you
not have any definite direction from your supervisor (not necessarily a bad
thing), it also means that you have no definite goal. As a result, I would
suggest:

jIvumtaH, 'ach ngoQna' vIHutlh.

> other questions

> vay' 'e' Duja'nIS
> He needs to tell you something.
> Is the use the *'e'* proper is the meaning changed by eliminating it

The <'e'> does not belong there. Without it, it is fine. With it, it makes
no sense.

> jIHDaq jatlh neH
> He wants to speak to me.

<-Daq> is much more limited than the English words (to, at, in, etc.) it
replaces. It can ONLY be used to talk about locations. This means something
like "He wants to speak *at* me", which is not what you want to say. To
speak "to" someone, you would normally use <-vaD>:

jIHvaD jatlh neH.

If the person spoken to is "you", "me", or "us", you can often shorten this
phrase using the "prefix trick":

mujatlh neH.

> What if I want more of something?  Getting out of my English way of
thinking
> I have come up with these examples.

> Soj vIneH
> I want food
maj.

> Soj chonob
> Give me food.
This is a statement: "you are giving me food". You want someone to give you
food, so use an imperative prefix: <Soj HInob>.

> Or how about this

> De' taH chonob
> Keep giving me information

You are giving me information at a negative angle {{;-)>  Look up all the
meanings of <taH> and you will understand.

What you want here is the verb suffix <-taH>, not the verb <taH>. See my
comments above about imperative prefixes, too.

De' HInobtaH - "Continuously give me information" or a little less literally
"Keep giving me information".

> De' chonobtaH
> you are giving me information. (Just a thought)

lugh qechlIj.

> Hol ghojtaH ngeDbe' 'ach jISIQqang
> Learning the Language is not easy but I am willing to endure it.

You're using verbs here in ways that don't work. Here's how it should work.

ngeDbe' Hol ghojmeH Qu' 'ach vISIQqang- "The task of learning the language
is not easy, but I am willing to endure it"

Also, if you're willing to endure "it" - in this case, learning the language
- you need a <vI-> prefix on <SIQ>.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ