tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 22 07:27:19 1999

Re: KLBC: {-ghach} (was Re: qama')

> On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, charghwI' 'utlh wrote:
>
> > Hints:
> >
> > 1. See the noun {chon}.
> >
> > 2. Avoid the suffix {-ghach} whenever possible.
> >
> > charghwI' 'utlh
>
> Can you give me a good reason WHY? That's all I want.

I'll give you a couple:

1. Because most of the time you reach for {-ghach}, you are
trying too hard to literally translate word for word from
English to Klingon. English is noun-centric and we overuse a
couple basic verbs while turning other verbs into nouns. Instead
of "Answer me," we say, "Give me your answer." We don't just
walk. We "take a walk". Most of the time, if you find a way to
use a verb instead of turning it into a noun first, you are
phrasing something better in Klingon than if you speak Klinglish
and cram Klingon verbs into noun form.

2. Because when verbs become nouns, many different things can
happen to them. It is not always easy to figure out WHICH
possible noun a verb will become, and so, your message can
easily become confusing. The nominalizing suffix {-wI'} is not
so confusing. The person or thing doing the action is the noun.
But with {-chach}, it could be the process of the action or the
duration of the action or the product of the action or the
conduit of the action or the origin of the action or the...

In Klingon, intervening verb suffixes will clue you in to what
{-ghach} is getting at in terms of what kind of noun you are
building from the verb. That's why {-ghach} without some other
verb suffix is so "marked". It is REALLY hard to figure out what
specific noun you want to build out of the verb without another
suffix.

In your example, {wamtaHghach} sounds like you enjoy the
continuation of hunting. You are not really into catching
anything, since that would end your enjoyment. {wamlI'ghach} may
have been a better choice, since the hunt has a goal. Or maybe
you like {wamta'ghach}, the moment standing over the dead prey,
victorious, or even later when plopping dinner on the kitchen
table. Still, {chom} is probably a better choice, since it is
the noun referring to the hunt. It does so better than any
{wamXghach} could, unless you are trying to point to a
particular variation on the action of hunting.

In general, {-ghach} is a tenacious beast. It is so difficult to
use it clearly, yet so beautiful when it is clearly used. I
consider it to be the LAST affix in the whole language one
should study. After you believe yourself completely competant at
using all other affixes, try out {-ghach} and then use it only
one out of ten times that you are tempted to use it. Maybe less.

I personally use it several times a year. Carefully. If you find
yourself using it more frequently than that, there is probably
something about the Klingon language that you are missing.

The action is the important part of a Klingon sentence. That's
why a well formed verb is a sentence all to itself. Nouns can't
do that. They only serve to add detail to the action.

Will

> quljIb

> > > These are shorter/quicker ??
> > >
> > > (I'll let the grammarian discuss your grammer)
> > >

> > > jIwammo' jIbel
> > > DloraH

Will Martin
UVA ITC Computer Support Services