tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 11 17:45:31 1999

Re: The Colour Purple

On Thu, 11 Mar 1999, Steven Boozer wrote:

> nuQum quljIb:
>
> : "Klingon does not really have a name for 'violet' or 'purple'." [KGT p.82]
> :
> : Maybe not, but there's a very good way to say the colour "purple":
> : 	{'Iw rur nguv} - It is tinted to resemble blood.
> : This may seem strange at first, but remember Klingon blood is actually a
> : light violet or lavender colour, not red like terran blood or green like
> : Vulcan's. Thus we get:
> : 	{'Iw rurqu'}         - an intense purple
> : 	{Doq 'ej 'Iw rur}    - red-violet
> : 	{SuD 'ej 'Iw rur}    - a colour more blue-violet than anything else
> : 	{Doqqu' 'ej 'Iw rur} - a maroon or burgandy colour
> : 	{wov 'ej 'Iw rur}    - a light lavender tint
> : Example:
> : 	qIj qabDaj. chISqu' jIbDaj. qul wovbogh 'ej 'Iw rurqu'bogh qabDu'Daj.
>
> Well, to distinguish Klingon or Human bloodstains from Vulcan, {Doq} vs.
> {SuD} is certainly sufficient.  If however you need to distinguish Klingon
> bloodstains from Human, Bajoran, Trill, etc., use {Doq 'ej wov} - or
> probably just {Doq} - for Klingon blood vs. {Doq 'ej Hurgh} or {Doqqu'} for
> Human et al.  I've often thought that if you asked a Klingon to show you an
> example of something quintessentially {Doq}, he would pull out his d'k
> tahg, slit his palm and show you his blood.
>
> Keep in mind that quljIb's subtle distinctions for shades of purple may not
> make much sense to a Klingon, who will no doubt interpret them differently
> than quljIb intended.  On the startrek.klingon newsgroup, Okrand wrote that
> "Klingon physiology may prevent them from seeing the color purple or
> violet."  This explains why they don't have special names for violet or
> purple; dark red, purple and violet may all look alike.

Hmm, I'd suspected as much myself. I especially enjoy the idea of Klingon
showing "something quintessentially {Doq}." One thing I have wondered
about, though. Does Klingon vision extend into, what is for humans, the
infrared range? Do they actually SEE body heat, and do they have words to
descibe such colours other than {Doqqu'}?

(For that matter, what's the range of Klingon hearing? What's their vocal
range? Are there words in tlhIngan describing the myriad nuances of scent
and taste? Can a lemon actually SMELL sour to a Klingon? These and other
questions keep me awake at night.)

I invite both canon examples and wild speculation in pursuit of this
knowledge.

quljIb
(Who wants to be the poet lauriate
of the Klingon Empire when he grows up) (: :)

Back to archive top level