tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 11 09:35:16 1999

Order of ordinals

(I noticed a point about this example when it was cited in connection with a
different topic, so I changed the subject.)

S15 (Reproduced in HolQeD v4n3p5.)
{wa'DIch tlhIngan Dujmey luleghlu'pu'bogh rur qItI'nga' Duj tera' vatlh DIS
poH cha'maH wej HochHom lo'lu'taH.}
Similar in configuration to the first Klingon vessels encountered, the
K'Tinga-Class
remained in use for most of the 23rd century.

TKD p. 54 says:
     Ordinal numbers follow the noun.
          meb cha'DIch      second guest

But the Skybox example has {wa'DIch tlhIngan Dujmey luleghlu'pu'bogh} as "the
first Klingon vessels encountered".   The ordinal number precedes the noun.

(In {tera' vatlh DIS poH cha'maH wej} "Terran century 23", we have, not an
ordinal, but what the same TKD page calls "a number ... used for numbering".)

Apparently this is another lapse by MO.  {tlhIngan Dujmey wa'DIch
luleghlu'pu'bogh} wouldn't have been unclear to me.  Others' reactions?

--jey'el

Back to archive top level