tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 10 23:37:43 1999

-moH Curiousity {was Re: deep structures}

In a message dated 3/9/1999 3:10:24 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

<<  I tend to interpret {-moH} more as modifying the meaning of the verb
 > >> itself than as reassigning roles of the surrounding nouns.
 > >
 > >In that case, I think you are just going through some
 > >subconscious reassigning of the nouns, because the "change" you
 > >describe for the verbs really changes the relationship of those
 > >verbs with their related nouns.
 >
 > You seem to have difficulty with reading {SopmoH} as a verb meaning
 > "make eat" without explicitly considering a transformation from the
 > {Sop} when {-moH} is added.  Does {ghojmoH} have the same problem
 > for you?

 I don't see it as a problem. It's just the way {-moH} works.
 When I see {ghojmoH}, I don't think the word "teach". I think
 "cause to learn". The closest English word is "teach", but I see
 this as a recognition that to successfully teach is to cause to
 learn. I think "teach" is the closest single word to {ghojmoH},
 but if it breaks down to subtle shades of meaning, {ghojmoH} is
 closer to "cause to learn" than it is to "teach". I think
 "teach" is just in the dictionary as a tag to help people look
 up "cause to learn". If "teach wasn't there, people would miss
 {ghoj} and not think of {ghojmoH}.

=======================
maSuvchuqchoHbe' jay'.

maj.

TKD 4.2.4 states:  {-moH} "cause".  Adding this suffix to a verb indicates
that the subject is causing a change of condition or causing a new condition
to come into existence."
{tIjwI'ghom vIchenmoH} "I form a boarding party" or "I cause a boarding party
to be formed."

jItlhobnIS.  nuq chenmoHlu'?  {tIjwI'ghom} 'oH qar'a'?  *subject*Hey mojlI'
*direct object* 'e' vIQub, 'ach QIjchu'be' TKD.  vImermoH wanI'vam.

peqIm.  wot {ghojmoH} *direct object* yIngu'!  ghojwI'pu' 'oH'a' pagh tlhIngan
Hol 'oH'a'?  ghojwI'pu' ghojmoH'a' ghojmoHwI' pagh tlhIngan Hol ghojmoH'a'
ghojmoHwI'?

peHruS

Back to archive top level