tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 10 11:43:48 1999

Re: Klingon Phonetics

John Bowman ([email protected]) asked:

> 1. Does assimiliation ever occur in Klingon?

I suspect it does. Okrand hints at this sort of thing in his dialect
section of KGT as I recall. The trick of course, John, is finding the
fluent speakers who can provide you with the data you need.

Keeping in mind that we're all learning this from a written form (the
two audio tapes not withstanding), we may be constantly reversing the
assimilation of several centuries of earlier Klingon speakers. Mind you,
I don't lose a lot of sleep over this.

As for the rendering of Picard's name, I'll just point to the "r" and
throw up my hands. The wide range of sounds represented by that letter
almost always plays havoc with vowels, at least to my way of thinking.
Sure, phonetics would be a lot easier if it were all just friactives and
plosives, but that ain't gonna happen any time soon.

Lawrence

Back to archive top level