tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 09 21:02:51 1999

Re: Aspect

In a message dated 3/5/1999 12:28:18 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

<< <-ta'> is "perfective", just like <-pu'>. It means *exactly* the same
thing,
 but it also says the subject intentionally set out to complete the action.
 It is pefective plus intent. Klingon could get along fine without it, using
 <chIch X-pu'> instead, but the concept of intentional completion is
 apparently useful enough to merit its own suffix. >>
==========

This looks good, considering that MO's explanation for {-ta'} does say it
works the way {-pu'} does except that intentionality is included.  This makes
{-ta' } perfective also, even though the word is not used.  I can accept this
gladly.

I still look as {-taH} and {-lI'} as continuous forms of imperfective aspect.
The difference here is whether there is a goal.  Although this does not even
touch on the other forms of imperfectives available to many languages, I can
accept that Klingon just does not need to be concerned with them in the
section entitled Aspect.  There is the possibility that {-choH} and {-qa'}
could cover some of these concepts; of course, Klingon grammarians would not
consider them Aspect since they are not in section 4.2.7.

This does give Klingon areas of difference from the Earth languages I have
studied in linguistics courses and for living language.  Okay.  I accept this
much.

I did look up MO's uses of {-pu'} in TKD, TKW, and KGT.  There aren't more
than about a dozen; and, all are in the non-periphrastic perfective.  If you
can show me examples of sentences MO has written which also include a time
word or similar adverbial, I welcome seeing them.  Meanwhile, the whole
discussion about Aspect began because ghunchu'wI' said I, peHruS, misused it
with a past-time reference.  cannot find an example of canon with both a past-
time reference and a perfective.  Please show me some.  Elsewise I will have
to suspect that ghunchu'wI' has determined what such a construction would mean
without any basis, just as he must have done in making up the word "adject."
I have searched linguistics-specific dictionaries, asked professors and deans
of linguistics schools, and consulted the internet linguistics listserv in
vain for this word.  That's why I think ghunchu'wI' just makes things up to
get Klingonists to kiss his ass, not mine.

peHruS

Back to archive top level