tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 06 02:50:55 1999

RE: KLBC: yIHnaQ

On 06-Mar-99, Andeen, Eric wrote:
>jatlh Thornton:

>>{jIHvaD *kipper* yIvut. nIQ vISopmeH jIchegh.} - First cut.

>This is just fine.

I didnt say it wasnt. I am in no position to comment on Klingon grammer, just
kipper production ;)

> "To kill a fool, drop a large rock on his head". <-meH> is
>really better explained as "in order to".

Hmmm, are you trying to tell me something? ;)

Funnily enough I am a bit of an expert on rocks, hence my interest in hammers
(re: my sig). Would this make me a:
{naghtej} or a
{naghQeDwI'}?

><nIQ vISopmeH jIchegh>.

Thanks, I wasnt sure if the qualicification was required. I see it is.

>We generally prefer things not be transliterated on this list. In spoken
>Klingon, it's a little fuzzier - it's hard to downshift into English in the
>middle of a Klignon sentence.

>> Besides, something vaguely to do with hitting
>> labels, might appear cannon later. {telDu' ghajchugh Suy'mey} (Did
>> I get that right?)

>Looks OK to me. I suppose <telDu' SuqDI' Suy'mey> or <puvchoHDI' Suy'mey>
>would be fine too. But since it's a very culture specific idiom, don't
>expect a Klingon to get it.

Much the same as {ghe'torvo' narghDI' qa'pu'} in the idiom section of KGT

>> So one night later (with a bit of help to speed things up) we end up with
>> something like:

>> {jIHvaD *kipper* yItlhIch. nIQ vIcheghmeH}

>> Strictly speaking {tlhIch} is a noun, and shouldnt be used like this - but
>> some nouns are the same as verbs. How do you know which nouns can act like
>> verbs or vice-versa? Can we only use cannon examples?

>Some nouns are also verbs, but we should rely on the dictionary to find out
>which ones. Without evidence to the contrary, <vItlhIch> sounds just as
>weird in Klingon as "I computered a few things today" or "I will idea that
>tomorrow".

I suppose so, besides. To say I smoked a few things today, could mean many
things, and only one being anything to do with preserving fish.

Ok, I just tried but ran into problems:
jIHvaD *kipper* yIchoq /* now what do I do with {tlhIch}*/. nIQ vISopmeH
jIchegh

Would {*kipper* yIchoqmeH tlhIch yIlo' vIneH} work for
"I want you to use smoke in order to preserve the kipper"

Thanks,
--
   Jeremy Silver   |\   [email protected]
 __________________| \  [email protected]
                   |  | A1200, Blizzard 1260, 34Mb
 mupwI' yI'uchtaH! |__| 1.4Gb HD. Amiga Forever.

Back to archive top level