tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 04 22:14:24 1999

Noun cases

Don't worry.  Klingon nouns do not have cases.  We won't have to learn them as
we had to in Russian, etc.

This message actually regards Aspect, again, when helped out by partitive
cases, as in Finnish and Yoruba.  With partitive noun case markers we can
subdivide the Perfective Aspect into separate *Events, as far as the time of
occurrence, as well as describing the Condition or State of the verb.

In Yoruba, some sentences seem to have no verb when using the Progressive
Aspect.  One says:  I in eat; I in see, etc.

My point regarding Klingon.  There are so many definitions of Aspect for
individual languages that we are going to have to determine exactly what
Aspect is for Klingon alone.  The discussion so far has been productive.  But,
I would claim that it is not conclusive for me.  I want to see more concrete
evidence from MO.

peHruS

Back to archive top level