tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 04 19:49:36 1999

Re: Aspect

ja' peHruS:
>Why cannot the perfection of the action take place "during" the visiting?  If
>it cannot, then Klingon is different from ANY Earth language I have been able
>to discover which uses aspect alone or a combination of aspect, aktionsart,
>and/or tense.

Perfective doesn't "take place" at a particular time.  Perfective is a state,
not an event.  If "the perfection of the action" has not occurred, the verb
does not possess the perfective quality, so the {-pu'} and {-ta'} suffixes
are not appropriate.

>Finally, how do you render the Klingon sentence meaning "The boy saw the man
>(and that completion of seeing the man occurred during) while the man was
>visiting the woman"?

If by "completion" you mean "accomplishment":
be' SuchtaHvIS loD, loD legh loDHom 'e' ta' loDHom.

If by "completion" you mean "finishing":
be' SuchtaHvIS loD, loD legh loDHom 'e' mev loDHom.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level