tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 04 12:35:10 1999

KLBC: RE: KLBC:Eating.

(QInvam pong jum yIbuSHa')

>> Is there a way of saying "I use this to do <something> to that"?

>There certainly is. Just plain "I use X" is obviously <X vIlo'>. "I use X
>Y" - or to be more explicit "I use X in order to Y" - is <jI-Y-meH X
vIlo'>.

Okay, I got the first part, I'll say <Dochvam vIlo'>. Now, to clarify, is
the second part, <Dochvetlh jIpe'meH (or whatever)>? Whenever I think of
the phrase "in order to do Y to that", Y is a noun (such as "harm", or
"insult", and not "book", or lamp"). In this case, the phrase would
translate as <DochvetlhvaD reghwI' jInob> (using <reghwI'> as a noun for
"cut"): "I give a cut to that thing". Is that wrong? My translation is:

<DochvetlhvaD reghwI' jInob Dochvam vIlo'>   "I use this thing to give a
cut to that thing."

Maybe it's just more work for the same result.

--- loD Doq

***Is <QInvam pong jum yIbuSHa'> correct?***

Back to archive top level