tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 04 12:23:34 1999

Re: Aspect

ja' peHruS:
> Why cannot the perfection of the action take place "during" the visiting?  If
> it cannot, then Klingon is different from ANY Earth language I have been able
> to discover which uses aspect alone or a combination of aspect, aktionsart,
> and/or tense.

this should come as no surprise.

I had a quick (!) glance at Comrie and I think, maybe you are confused
by the fact that what Comrie calles "perfective" verbs and what Okrand
calls "perfective" aspect are not at all the same thing.

the closest to Comrie-"perfective" verbs in Klingon, as far as I can
tell, would be those without type 7 suffixes.

> Finally, how do you render the Klingon sentence meaning "The boy saw the man
> (and that completion of seeing the man occurred during) while the man was
> visiting the woman"?

be' SuchtaHvIS loD, loD legh puqloD.

if you really need to be very specific:

loD legh puqloD. 'e' ta' puqloD, be' SuchtaHvIS loD.

(or substitute whatever you find more appropriate for {ta'})

> Still, if I say:  {qaStaHvIS vagh jajmey, matlhutlhtaH}, would not the
> Klingon inference be that we drank non-stop day and night until all
> five days had passed?

quite possibly. again, I think

qaStaHvIS vagh jaj, matlhutlh.

does not necesserily mean we drank just once, and if you need to
be more explicit, add {pIj}.

> If this is true, we have not yet settled the problem of "intermittent"
> action.

well, as far as I know, this is the first time you mention this
"problem" in this thread.

                                           Marc Ruehlaender
                                           aka HomDoq
                                           [email protected]