tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 04 00:03:35 1999

Re: Placement of aspect suffixes

In a message dated 3/3/1999 8:39:13 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

<< ja' peHruS:
 >I definitely should not have put (perfective) inside parentheses right after
 >saying "past tense."  There is no way they mean the same thing.  I meant to
 >say:  When Mandarin uses {-wan} "finish," it comes across in English as
"past
 >tense" and in Slavonic languages and dialects as "perfective."

 1:  There is no way perfective and past tense mean the same thing.
 2:  The Mandarin "-wan" is translated as either past tense or perfective.

 You don't see a contradiction here? >>
===============

No, I don't see a contradiction here.  I see a mis-reading.  Your statement #2
is a mis-quote, outright.  What I said is:  When Mandarin uses {-wan}
"finish," it comes across in English as "past tense" and in Slavonic languages
and dialects as "perfective."

Please carefully read that this does not mean that Mandarin uses {-wan} as
both past tense and perfective simultaneously.  This means that Mandarin uses
{-wan}; then, an English-speaker looks at the sentences and sees "tense" while
a speaker of Baltic-Slavonic languages looks at the same sentences and sees
"perfective."

peHruS

Back to archive top level