tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 02 10:41:17 1999

Re: time

>I've been thinking about what Marc Okrand said about telling time.
>
>In his {'arlogh Qoylu'pu'}-message he said that hours are labeled, not
>conted, thus {rep wa'} and so on.
>Okay.
>On conversational Klingon he says "zero hours", midnight, is {pagh rep};
>1900 hours, seven p.m. is {wa'maH Hutvatlh rep} and so on.
>
>So what??

Different people in different situations.
I read time (military time) differently than my friends ("normal time")

>Another question: The answer to {'arlogh Qoylu'pu'} is usually
>{chorghlogh} (here for "eight o'clock"). Do we know how to say 7:15
>p.m.?? According to CK, I would say {wa'maHHutvatlh wa'maHvagh rep}, but
>that now seems to be wrong...
>Power Klingon gives us this:
>"check-out time is five p.m."
>{vagh rep bImejnIS}
>
>But looking at the new  rule, I would say
>{vaghlogh Qoy'lu'pu' bImejnISDI'} or
>{rep vagh bImejnIS} or
>{qaStaHvIS rep vagh bImejnIS}

7:15 - rep Soch, tup wa'maH vagh je
7:15pm = 1915 - rep wa'maH Hut, tup wa'maH vagh je
        or - wa'maH Hut wa'maH vagh rep
(in the military we usually use -vatlh only when the time is right on the hour:
1900 - wa'maH Hutvatlh rep)

And yes, as a "civilian" I would label the hour:  rep Soch
as a "soldier" I would count the hours: Soch rep

DloraH

Back to archive top level