tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 28 05:26:00 1999

Re: Love (A-Ha!)

ja' charghwI':

1) {parHa'} can mean "do badly" if you consider disliking something to be a
goal oriented activity. Given Klingon culture, this is perhaps a valid path
to its meaning. I can only like you if I fail to dislike you. That is a
stronger flavor of liking than merely not disliking you. In other words,
I'd dislike you if I could, but I like you so much, I screw up any effort
at disliking you. See? It is a cultural statement.

2) Learning Klingon without TKD is an impressive challenge. The KLI can
sell you TKD for a sum that most people can save up for who have enough
money to afford Internet access.

3) {QayHa'}? nuqjatlh? I don't understand this word. I'd need context to
figure out what you are doing to the meaning "transfer".

4) I don't yell, "Wrong!" I merely yell, "Not always preferable!"

jIjang:

1) Dajatlhbogh vIparHa'!  This sort of cultural statement is exactly what I
was getting at when I wrote (6 weeks ago) that "what intrigues me about
/muSHa'/, /parHa'/, and /tungHa'/ ... is their evocation of a culture in
which it is more "normal" to hate, dislike and discourage than the
reverse."  ghunchu'wI' has since argued that all this proves nothing about
Klingon culture.  Fair enough.  As a scientific venture, reconstructing
Terran culture based on the structure of /DIvI' Hol/ would be dubious at
best.  As speculation, it's too much fun to resist.

2) jagh DajeymeH, nIteb yISuvrup!  /QeyHa'/ jIja'nISba'pu'.

3) Huch vIghaj.  *credit* vIHutlh jay'!  juHvengDaq ratlh *check*meywIj.

4) I'm gratified by HoD Qanqor's backing on /musHa'/, but in all fairness,
despite much wrangling over the word, I don't think anyone (least of all
charghwI') has ever yelled, Wrong!

qa'ral

Back to archive top level