tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 22 17:50:05 1999

RE: KLBC: summer's in, school's out

jatlh Nelson:
>>> vaj jIQaghHa' ghojwI'Homvo'.

jIjatlh:
> Nouns with type five suffixes (except -'e') must go at the beginning
> of the clause they are part of, so <ghojwI'Homvo'> must go before
> <jIQaghHa'>. I'm also having trouble figuring out what you're saying
> here. I suspect you mean that you have gone from being a student to
> someone who does not often make mistakes. Let me know what you
> wanted to say, and I will help you say it.

jatlh Nelson:
> I'm trying to say that (I'm a highschool teacher and) I'm finished
> correcting the student's error.
>
> I think it should have been something like:
>
> vaj ghojwI'Homvo' jIQaghHa'.
>
> I forgot about the OVS syntax.

toH. DaH jIyajchoH. . .

>>> tlhIngan Hol QaghwIj QaghHa' pagh!

jIjatlh:
> <Qagh> is defined as "err, be mistaken, make a mistake". I don't think
> <Qagh> can take an object - something like <mu'tlheghvam vIQagh> would
> not make sense - so <QaghHa'> probably cannot either. You can use
> another nice verb here - <lughmoH>.
>
> If this is a simple statement - "pagh will correct my errors", then it
> is fine with <lughmoH>, and correct as well:

> DaH QaghlIj vIlughmoHlI'bej.

HIvqa' veqlargh. <vIlughmoHbejlI'> vIghItlh 'e' vIHechba'.

> If it is a request (command), then you need an imperative prefix:
> <tlhIngan Hol QaghwIj tIlughmoH, pagh!>. (Unless you are assuming
> you have only one error, which would make the prefix <yI->).

jatlh Nelson:
> I will explain the whole idea I was trying to get through. I'm a
> teacher and since school is now finished I will let you, pagh, be
> the teacher and I will do the mistakes that you will help me
> correct. The approximate translantion I was trying to achieve was:
>
> School is finished so I'm finished correcting the students errors.
> Now pagh will correct my klingon errors.
>
> I can see that I left a couple of things out. Lets try again.

> rIn DuSaQ  vaj ghojwI'Homvo' jIlughmoHbe'.

The problem here is <-vo'>. The noun suffix <-vo'> indicates that the action
of the verb is taking place in a direction away from the noun with <-vo'>.
"From the students" makes sense in English, but using <-vo'> here does not
really make sense in Klingon. Try this:

rIn DuSaQ vaj ghojwI'Hom vIlughmoHta'.

You could even do something that will make charghwI' wince:

rIn DuSaQ vaj ghojwI'Hom vIlughmoH rIntaH.

See TKD 4.2.7 for an explanation of <rIntaH>.

> DaH QaghwIj lughmoHlI'bej pagh.

I think just plain <lughmoH> is better here. While I was writing my
messages, I was in the process of correcting your errors, hence the <-lI'>.
I added <-bej> to demonstrate that I was certain your statement was true.

> ghojtaH 'e' Qatlhchu'.

I see what you are trying to say here, but it doesn't quite work. <'e'> can
only be used as an object of a verb, not a subject. A common way to say this
sort of thing is:

Qatlhchu' ghojtaHmeH Qu' - "The task of continuously learning is difficult".

'ach Qatlhchu'be' tlhIngan Hol ghojmeH Qu'. ta'lu'meH, vumnISlu'bej, 'ach
luta'laHbej ghot law'. be' yajmeH Qu''e' - Qatlhchu' Qu'vetlh.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ