tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 27 12:57:19 1999

RE: -mo'

jatlh QInteS:

> Can {-mo'} modify entire sentences?

<-mo'> can verbs as well as nouns, so yes. The appendix to TKD on page
175-176 gives us three other type 9 verb suffixes: <-ghach>, <-jaj>, and
<-mo'>. It says that <-mo'> behaves just like it's noun counterpart.

> paSloghwIj Sop mIl'oDmo' bIr qamDu'wIj.
> Can there be more than one clause in a sentence?

There cannot be more than one main clause in a sentence without a
conjunction, and a noun with <-mo'> cannot be the subject of a verb (except
for <-bogh> clauses), so this does not work.

> paSloghwIj Sopbogh mIl'oDmo' bIr qamDu'wIj.

This does work, but it is not *quite* what you want to say. For that you
need the verb form of <-mo'>:

paSloghwIj Sopmo' mIl'oD, bIr qamDu'wIj.

> P.S.  Sorry if this post looks weird.  My cat walked on
> my keyboard and did something to my font and I can't
> figure out how to fix it.

It's fine here. At least your pet doesn't like to chew on your keyboard like
my bird does.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ