tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 17 09:41:59 1999

Re: vav jaj

jatlh charghwI':

>On Thu, 15 Jul 1999 18:29:20 -0400 Christiane Scharf
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> *rabbit*mey ghaj vavnI'wI'. *rabbit*meyvaD Soj vInob 'e' vItIv. 'IH
>> Ha'DIbaHmeyvam. 'ach QIt ngoD HeghmoH vItlhojchoHchu': SojwIj chaH
>> Ha'DIbaHmeyvam 'IH'e', jay'!

Oops, should have written {bIH} instead of {chaH}. DopDaq qul yIchenmoH
QobDI' ghu'.

>qayajchu'. wa' mu' Dalo'Ha'pu'law' 'ach meqlIj vIyajchu'. mu'
><<lo'laH>> rurchugh mu' <<HeghmoH>> vaj bIlugh 'ach not
>ngoDHeyvam 'ol *Okrand*. <<lo'laH>> neH 'oH mu' naQ. ghaytan
><<Hegh + moH>> 'oH <<HeghmoH>>'e'. wot tlhejDI' mojaq <<-moH>>,
>wot motlh neH DalaH wotvam. mu'tlhegh 'ay' DalaHbe'. DIp
>DellaHbe'.
>
>chaq Qubqa' *Okrand* 'ej lughchoH lo'lIj, 'ach DaH mujlaw'.

I understand your point. You're arguing that {HeghmoH} is one of those words
like {ghojmoH} that are only in the dictionary for the English speaker's
convenience. {ghojmoH} is only in the dictionary so that somebody can find
the word for "teach" easily.

However, there's a difference between verbs like {ghojmoH} and {HeghmoH}.
The two possible translations of the {ghojmoH} class verbs both are verbs
that describe an action, and they're both transitive: {ghojmoH} is
translated literally ( {ghoj} + {-moH} ) as "cause to learn" and it's also
glossed as "teach".

In contrast to that, the two possible translations of {HeghmoH}, "cause to
die" ( = {Hegh} + {moH} ) and "be fatal" are grammatically different: the
first is transitive, since all verbs with the suffix {-moH} are transitive,
the second is intransitive, since all stative verbs are intransitive.

So, if only the first meaning applied, I would never be able to use the "be
fatal" translation" when I would translate a Klingon sentence.
For example: {jagh HeghmoH HoD} - "The captain causes the enemy to die" /
*"The captain is fatal the enemy"????

But the "be fatal" translation is clearly there. So there must be cases when
{HeghmoH} is used as a stative verb. And stative verbs can be used as
adjectives. So I think I'm allowed to use {HeghmoH} as an adjective.

Thus, I suppose that {Hegh+moH}and {HeghmoH} are two different verbs, maybe
etymologically related, that just happen to be homonym.

HovqIj

Back to archive top level