tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 04 09:56:52 1999

Re: KLBC: mu'tay'

SuStel:
> Just want to remind everyone (not just charghwI'; I've seen it a lot
> lately!) that {Hech} means "intend to."  We see here an attempt to say "You
> apparently meant {ghItlhlu'pu''a'}," but what the Klingon has to be is
> {<ghItlhlu'pu''a'> bIjatlh 'e' DaHechlaw'}.
>
> You don't "intend to 'quotation,'" you "intend to say 'quotation.'"

ghunchu'wI':
: Look again, SuStel.  The word {Hech} is defined as "intend, mean to".
: It's not necessarily "intend to".  It certainly can be used as you
: insist, but there's room for disagreement on whether or not it may
: be used as charghwI' did.

The issue is whether the "to" applies to both glosses in the TKD definition
"intend, mean to" or just the second.  Let's see how Okrand actually uses
the word:

  Hem tlhIngan Segh 'ej maHemtaH 'e' wIHech
  Klingons are a proud race, and we intend to go on being proud. TKW

  Ha'DIbaH DaSop 'e' DaHechbe'chugh yIHoHQo'
  Do not kill an animal unless you intend to eat it. TKW

The object of {Hech} "intend to" is {'e'} plus SAO, not a noun or
quotation.  Not only can it be used as SuStel insists, but according to the
only canonic examples known to me, it must be.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level