tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 25 17:59:18 1999

Re: KLBC: jIjat

In an {X-taHvIS Y} situation, you know the following:

(1) X is continuous, because it has the {-taH} suffix.

(2) Y is not continuous, and it is not completed.

If you want Y to be continuous or completed, you have to use the appropriate
suffix, for instance:

X-taHvIS Y-taH.

Some examples:

jIyIttaHvIS chal vIlegh.
While I was walking, I looked at the sky.  (The looking is not continous or
completed.)

jIyIttaHvIS chal vIleghtaH.
While I was walking, I was looking at the sky.  (The looking is continuous.)

jIyIttaHvIS chal vIleghpu'.
While I was walking, I had already looked at the sky.  (The looking is
complete.  In this particular example, this doesn't mean very much, but I
have seen examples where the distinction was important.)

SuStel
Stardate 99068.6