tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 23 16:35:00 1999

RE: KLBC: Prefix trick

jatlh T'Lod:

> What is the "prefix trick" that was referred to in the clothing
> thread?  I seem to have missed it.

The "prefix trick" is a bit of Klingon grammar. If a verb has an indirect
object (IO) that is first or second person (me, you, us) and a direct object
(DO) that is third person, then instead of using the usual {IO-vaD DO verb}
formation, the verb prefix can be changed to indicate the indirect object.
Examples:

SoHvaD matlh vIpong - "I call you Maltz" - becomes
matlh qapong

jIHvaD paq yInob - "Give me the book" - becomes
paq HInob

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level