tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 19 13:26:15 1999

Re: ma'veq: It's official

While you are correct that if Klingon grammar were different,
there would be more accurate ways of expressing aspect in
Sentence-As-Object constructions, it is equally correct that
English would be more correct if we distinguished between
singular and plural second person, or if we distinguised between
the inclusive first person plural and the exclusive first person
plural. There are hundreds, if not thousands of languages right
here on Earth that are more clear about this than English is.
Why don't we change it to clear up this vague, messy detail in
our language?

Welcome to reality. So far as I know, every language has these
short-sighted limits. You just deal with them. I recommend
detachment. Don't fixate on a limit. Just flow with it.

You can't put an aspect marker on the second verb of a
Sentence-As-Object construction. Don't think about it. Just do
it. Don't be upset by it. Just work around it. You CAN work
around it. Everybody else does.

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level