tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 08 07:29:43 1999

RE: Bird of Prey poster

: jatlh T'Lod:
:
: > What part of speech is pup?  Is it a verb or noun?
: > "High resolution" doesn't seem to be a verb.
:
: In this case, <pup> is a verb meaning "be perfect". It is also a verb meaing
: "kick". Keep in mind that translation is not just simple substitution - I
: doubt there is a simple Klingon phrase that translates directly and exactly
: to "High resolution".
:
: pagh
: Beginners' Grammarian

	jabbI'ID pup: Qapchu'meH 'aqroS chuq: cha' vI' chorgh loghqammey
	High Resolution - Maximum Effective Range - 3.5 Light Years

"perfect data transmission: maximum range (in order) to effectively work..."

	jabbI'ID pupHa': Qapchu'meH chuq: chorgh vI' chorgh loghqammey
	Medium to Low Resolution - Effective Range - 11 Light Years

"imperfect data transmission: maximum range (in order) to effectively work..."

Nice use of {-Ha'}.  I like Okrand's binary Klingon viewpoint (perfect, imperfect) vs. the typically trinitarian English view (low, medium, high).

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level