tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 07 17:16:18 1999

RE: KLBC: is this correct?

jatlh jeyD:

> tlhIngan Hol jatlhbogh nuv vISovbe'mo' tetlhvamvo' jImej
> 'ach DaH tlhIngan HolvaD jupwIj vIghojmoH
> (is that correct?  its been such a long time...)

It's probably best to call your friend <jupwI'> to avoid insulting him.

The only other grammatical problem here relates to <-moH>. There is a lot of
debate over what to do with the object of a verb after you add <-moH>. To
use your example, we know we can say <ghoj jupwI'> and <jupwI' vIghojmoH>.
We can also say <tlhIngan Hol ghoj jupwI'>, but what happens when we want to
add <-moH> here?

Some folks on the list have argued that it should be <jupwI'vaD tlhIngan Hol
vIghojmoH>, which in the context of this *specific* verb probably makes
sense. Krankor has argued that it could be <tlhIngan Hol'e' jupwI'
vIghojmoH>. For now it's probably best to just use two sentences: <'ach DaH
tlhIngan Hol ghoj jupwI'. vIghojmoH>.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ