tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 03 22:44:39 1999

Re: KLBC: Nature of -be' (was <.Las Vegas>Daq lengwIj)

<< jatlh tuv'el:

 > << KLBC: <Las Vegas>Daq lengwIj
 >
 > vaghHu' <Las Vegas>Daq jIjaHpu'.  SuDmeH vIjaHbe'.
 > <Thanksgiving> jaj lopmeH vIjaH.
 >
 >  KLBC: My trip to Las Vegas
 >
 > I went to Las Vegas five days ago.  I did not go
 > to gamble. I went to celebrate the day of Thanksgiving.

 jang juDmoS:

 > Don't misunderstand, I am not one to pick nits. But this one
 > covers ground I have a question on, involving the use of -be'.
 > According to TKD, it "follows the concept being negated." In
 > the above example, he did not journey to Las Vegas to gamble.
 > Not that he did not *go*, but that he did not go *to gamble*.
 > Then, in this instance, isn't the purpose clause what is
 > actually being negated ?

 > Or would the whole sentence have to be recast?

 ghaytan.

 I'm sorry it took so long to get back to this...but I decided to try a
recast. Would this work in this situation ?

mulengmoHta'bogh meqwI' 'oHbe' SuDtaH.

juDmoS

Back to archive top level