tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 02 17:48:06 1999

RE: KLBC: mu'mey vIwaH.

jatlh tuv'el:

> KLBC: mu'mey vIwaH.
>
> lIparHa'law' qoqqoqwIj.
> My so-called robot seems to like you guys.

maj.

> toH!  tlhIch qan pongbogh HuD yorDaq DatoSvIp'a'?
> Aha!  Are you afraid to climb to the top of Old Smoky?

There is a bit of a problem here with <pong>. <pong> works like this: <X-vaD
N pong Y> means "Y calls X N". This structure does not lend itself well to
<-bogh> clauses, since often we would want the head noun to be <X>, and
that's pretty difficult.

Fortunately, it's almost always easier to just say something like "Old smoke
mountain" than "The mountain which is called Old Smoke":

tlhIch qan HuD yorDaq DatoSvIp'a'?

This brings up another issue - to <-Daq> or not to <-Daq>. Since <toS> is
defined as "climb", and one can certainly climb a mountain in English, the
<-Daq> is probably best left off. I suspect the similar verb <Sal> -
"ascend" cannto take an object.

> DatoSchu'ta'mo' jImerqu'.  vaj jItlhIjrup.
> I'm surprised you climbed it so well.
> So, I'm prepared to apologize.

maj. The first sentence in particular is well translated into Englisih.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ