tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 01 11:27:44 1999

Pure Speculation: Measurements on a Klingon "Compass Rose"

Having no better way to spend my time, I did the math. Assuming an orbital
period of approximately 1.25 Terran solar years and a daily rotation
period of approximately 20 standard Terran hours, the Klingon year <DIS>
works out to about 546 local days <jajmey>. This neatly divides into 3
"seasons" of 182 days or 6 "seasons" of 91 days each.
=========
Hmm...and those "seasons" of 91 days are each divisible into 13 "weeks" of
seven days, or seven "weeks" of 13 days. I wonder...

540 seems a round enough number to use in circular measurement (our own year
is fairly close to 360 days--about one degree/day), and I seem to recall the
Cardassians use this number in circular measure, as well. If the "compass
rose" were to be divided equally (it is not, see below), from {chan} to
{tIng}, from {tIng} to {'ev}, and from {'ev} to {tIng} would all be 180
"units" apart. As Okrand stated, though the directions {tIng} and {'ev} are
not 120 degrees away form {chan}. Rather {'ev} and {tIng} are roughly 130
degrees from {chan} and roughly 100 degrees way from each other.

If {chan} is assigned the "zero direction", then--counting clockwise--{tIng}
is at 195 "units" and {'ev} at 345. More likely the measurements are round
numbers, like 200 {tIng} and 340 {'ev}. (Then again, 195 is easily divisible
by multiples of three, and we *do* know that the "old system" of counting delt
with powers of three.)

As to how the direction {'ev} and {tIng} came about, I don't know, though I
have a theory: If Qo'noS has an axial tilt of c. 45+ degrees (Terran), then
{'ev} and {tIng} are the directions of a noontime shadow on the summer and
winter solstices, respectively.

quljIb

Back to archive top level