tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 01 06:56:36 1999

Re: cardinal directions

I hate my Email package.

<Shift>-S, with a slip of the right pinky becomes <Ctrl>-S and
sends the message with no confirmation option. Bheah.

So, we have all these words we commonly use for directions.
North, South, East, West, Northeast, North Northeast, etc.

All this has to do with MODIFIED compass directions. Don't
forget magnetic declination (though we got along quite a few
years before figuring that out).

Now, add the 360 degrees of the compass. While these systems
overlay onto one another, they have no real relationship to each
other, since the numbers are all measured from one point marked
zero, while the directional words have four peer words for
direction. The number system is more precise, but in
conversation, people are more likely to use the words than the
numbers.

Now, look at maps. Suddenly, we have longitude and lattitude.
This has nothing to do with our direction words OR our 360
degree compass from any particular point, except in nearly
perverse ways in terms of measurement of idealized circles
(flat, when the Earth isn't and round, when the Earth isn't).

There is no reason that Klingons could not similarly have
unrelated systems going between directional words, compass
numbering systems and maps. Klingons may very well map planets
in equilateral triangles, arbitrarily numbering the triangles
with no reference to compass directions.

Once you look on a map which might include one or more of these
triangles, or which might include some triangularly subdivided
section of such a map, you could plot any point on the map in
terms of distance and angle from any corner. Or you could just
name everything on the map. Or you could have an infinitely
expandable coordinate system that would continue to divide
things down to finer grids of triangles.

My point here is that map systems don't have to have anything to
do with the words people use to discuss directions. They may use
those words to relate two different points on the map for the
map's most common functions: "You are here." "Your destination
is here."

Okrand tells us that there are three different systems for
dealing with this. One is the direction words he describes.
Another is a more precise numbering system for directions. A
third is the three dimensional coordinates used in space. He
only describes one of these systems. Don't assume that its use
needs to extend farther than Okrand tells us it does.

charghwI'

charghwI'

Back to archive top level