tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 29 17:21:50 1999

Re: law' nabwIj

Qu'mey law' Danab, charghwI', batlh Hoch yIta'!

nabDaj DaDelmeH bIjatlh:

>I'm writing this on my Palm IIIx, so the line breaks will look funny for
>some people, and lowercase "q" and "g" are written with very similar
>gestures and they appear nearly identical on my screen when underlined
>(as my Email package does for all text), so there may be some misspelling.

HIja', 'a qay'be'.

>[...]
>(cha' veng pImDaq lop jupwI'pu' 'ej jIjeS) wejvatlh rep jIQongchoH.

{juppu'wI'}. yIvoq 'ach yI'ol.

>DaHjaj wa'maH Sochvatlh rep be'nI'wI' (*qaro'lIn*) qoS wIlop. jIpawmeH
>wa' rep bID je vIlengnIS.

Can you really travel a time?

>[...]
>cha'leS jIvumta'DI' QoQ wImuchmeH jupwI'pu' (*wuDI' marSa'* je) juH

{juppu'wI'} again.

>[...]
>HutleS jIvumta'DI' pagh vInab.

mu'tlheghvam vIleghDI' jIHaghchoH. <jaj SochDIch leS Qun'a'> pay' 'e' vIqaw.

>jItlhablaw'. qechmey ghajlu''a'?

qechmey lughajlu'bej.

yIyev. jajvetlh bIDoy'bej, vaj yIQongchu'. vemmoHwI' yIchu'Qo'. bIvemDI',
jaj yItIv. paq yIlaD qoj jIHlut yIbej. chaq jabbI'IDghomvam QInmey DalaD
DaneH. qaStaHvIS chorgh jaj DalaDlaHchu'be', qar'a'? vaj law'qu'bej.

>charghwI' 'utlh

HovqIj

Both
Klingon suffixes have two different meanings, depending on whether they're
attached to a noun or a verb.
I have no idea where you got "receive" from. "receive" is {Hev}. Free
translations may sound better, but before you translate freely, translate as
close to the original text as possible, especially when you're having
trouble understanding the meaning of the original phrase. When you're sure
you know what the author wanted to say, then you're free to find better
words to express the thought.
I'm sorry, but I don't know what "b/c" stands for ("because"?). {-meH} means
"in order to".

Here's a syntactical analysis of my sentence to help you with your
translation:

tlhIngan Hol vIHaDchoHDI', Hov leng muchwI'pu' vIyajmeH vIHaD.

tlhIngan Hol vIHaDchoHDI': temporal clause
    tlhIngan Hol: object of this clause
    vIHaDchoHDI': verb of this clause

Hov leng muchwI'pu' vIyajmeH: purpose clause
    Hov leng muchwI'pu': noun-noun-noun-construction; object of this clause
    vIyajmeH: verb of this clause

vIHaD: main clause

>qaStaHvIS poHvetlh Hov leng vItIvqu', vaj wa' jaj tlhIngan Hol mu'ghom
>vIje'.
>occur`[cont.]`while that`time startrek i:it`enjoy`[emp.], hence one day
>klingon dictionary i:it`buy{should this be vIje'pu'?}
>?[at the time, i happened to very much enjoy startrek, so one day i
>bought a klingon dictionary]

tlhoS.
poHvetlh: at that time
I didn't say something like "I happened to...". Don't add things the author
didn't say when you're translating other people's words.

>jIghojmeH jabbI'IDghomvamvaD jIjeSchoH.
>i`learn`b/c datatransmission`group`this`for i`participate`begin
>{jIjeSchoHpu'?}
>?[b/c i learned about this mailing list i joined]

{-meH} still is "in order to". Also remember that nouns with
type 5 suffixes (except {-'e'}) always go before the O-V-S.

jIghojmeH: purpose clause

jabbI'IDghomvamvaD jIjeSchoH: main clause

>Hoch jaj law'qu' QInmey tugh 'e' vItu'.
>every day bmany`[emp.] QIn`[pl.] dass i:it`find

"dass"? *Germany*ngan SoH'a'?
{QIn} means "message" and is from KGT.
You omitted {tugh}.

>?[there are many things that i find/notice every day]

ghobe'.

Syntax again. Promise to reread section 6 in TKD.

Hoch jaj law'qu' QInmey: main clause #1

tugh 'e' vItu': main clause #2; the clauses are joint by {-'e'}

As for {Hoch jaj}: This means "each day", not "every day". When {Hoch}
preceeds a noun that is singular, it means "each", when it preceeds a plural
noun, it means "every". When it follows a noun, it means "all (of)", like in
{nIn Hoch} - "all (of) the fuel"

>nom cha' ngoDmeyna' vItlhoj:
>quickly two fact`[pl.]`[def.] i:it`realize
>?[very soon, i realized two things]

I wouldn't translate so freely, but I think you understood my sentence.

>ngoDna' wa': QIvchu' mu'ghomqoqwIj.
>fact`[def.] one: binferior`clearly dictionary`socalled`my
>?[fact one: my 'dictionary' was obviously not good enough]

Do you understand the German "jein"?
Your grammar is right, but, please, translate a little more literally.
{QIv} means "be inferior". "not good enough" doesn't feel quite the same to
me.

>DOW 'oH mu'ghomqoqvetlh chaq 'e' Daqaw.

HIvqa' veqlargh. jIQagh. {-'e'} vInop. jIjatlhnIS:
DOW (i. e. "Das Offizielle Wörterbuch"- the German TKD) 'oH
mu'ghomqoqvetlh'e' chaq 'e' Daqaw.

>DOW it dictionary`socalled`that perhaps that you:them`remember
>[?]

{Da-} doesn't only mean "you-them".

>vaj mu'tay' lugh vInaw'laHmeH <pojwI'> vISuq.
>hence, vocabulary bcorrect i:it`access`laH`for analysis`my i:it`acquire
>[?]

<pojwI'> is the name of a Klingon language analyzing program.
{-laH} is a type 5 verb suffix right out of TKD.

>ngoDna' cha': Qatlhbe' tlhIngan Hol 'e' vIpIH.
>fact`[def.] two: bdifficult`not klingon that i:it`expected.
>?[fact two: i expected that klingon was not difficult]

maj.

>le'be' tlhIngan Hol 'e' vIpIH.
>bexceptional`not klingon that i:it`expected
>?[i expected that klingon was not that different]

Your grammar is ok. However, I do see a difference between "not be
exceptional" and "be not that different".

>jImujchu' 'e' vItu'!
>i`bwrong`clearly that i:it`find
>?[i found that i was clearly wrong!]

maj.

>wa' QIn vIlaDmeH poH nI' vIpoQ.
>two QIn i:it`read`for time long i:it`require

{wa'} is not "two". It's "one".

>?[it required a long time for me to read it]

Yes, but what did I read? I read "one message"
"I required a long time to read one message."

You chose a pretty difficult text to train your translation abilities. My
advice for you is to write a few simple sentences in Klingon on your own.
Thus you can learn much about syntax, which seems to be your major problem.

HovqIj

Back to archive top level