tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 21 19:21:41 1999

Re: HIQaH

jatlh charghwI':

>On Thu, 19 Aug 1999 06:23:22 +0200 Christiane Scharf
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> jatlh charghwI':

>> >Perhaps you have overly extended goals. If there is no simple
>> >word for what you want, then you need a description of it. When
>> >I've imagined this, I've considered that the lock is the ngaQwI'
>> >and the key is the ngaQHa'wI' because it is the lock which locks
>> >the door and it is the key that unlocks it.
>>
>> {ngaQ} is "be locked". The thing that locks the door would be a
>> {ngaQmoHwI'}, the thing that unlocks it would be a {ngaQHa'moHwI'}.
>
>The lock does not cause the door to be locked. The lock is
>locked. The door itself is, if you really think about it, never
>locked. It merely won't open. But the lock is definitely the
>thing which is locked.

Huj. I never thought about it this way. Interesting, BUT... we do have an
example to the contrary: {ngaQ lojmIt}, from TKW.

>You do have a point about the key, however, since that is the
>thing which causes the lock to be unlocked.
>
>> >But that's just my
>> >own perverse way of looking at it. I'm sure it would not work as
>> >a general use of the words.
>> >
>> >Likely, whatever you use, you need to explicitly explain your
>> >choice of words and explain why you have chosen them in the
>> >absence of something better.
>>
>> qeSchu' charghwI'. ghu' yIDel: SoQtaH lojmIt. poSmoHlaHbe' SuvwI'.
>> poSmoHlaHmeH jan le' SamnIS. janvamvaD {ngaQHa'moHwI'} (maybe even the
>> simpler {SoQHa'moHwI'}?) ponglu'. baS naQHey mach 'oH.
>
>mIwlIj vIparHa', 'ach Hoch *parenthetical suggestion*meylIj
>vIpar.

My "parenthetical suggestions" were just attempts at describing what a key
does. chaq nIvbe', 'ach *key* Qu' luDelchu'.

>ghaytanHa' naQHey 'oH.

qatlh? *key*mey ngo' DaleghDI' tIn bIH 'ej tIq 'e' Datu'. naQmey lururbej.
wa' DopDaq QebHey tu'lu', latlh DopDaq Ho' rurbogh 'ay''e' tu'lu'.

HovqIj

Back to archive top level