tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 16 17:07:05 1999

RE: KLBC

jatlh Angela:

> OK, here's a try at a few sentences.

> tlhIgan jIqIH. (I met a Klingon for the first time.)

Since you have an object, you need a prefix that says so. Use <vI-> instead
of <jI->.

> vImISmoH tlhIgan Hol. (Klingon confuses me)

This is almost perfect, but you got the prefix backwards. Klingon is the
thing that is doing the confusing (the subject), and you are the thing that
is being confused (the object). In the prefix table, the prefix for
he/she/it-me (subj-obj) is <mu->. <mumISmoH tlhIngan Hol>.

> vIDubtaH. (I am improving)

Good. This is actually "I am improving it", and it might be better if you
said <laHwIj vIDubtaH> - "I am improving my ability".

> *KGT* vIje'ta'. (I bought KGT)

majQa'. This was perfect, and your grammar was pretty good all the way
through.

> That's about as complicated as I feel like getting today. jIwuQ.

I love that word :)

> I'm still trying not to get overwhelmed by the number of posts to
> this list. DloraH was the Klingon I happened to meet today
> (although he was in his excellent human disguise). I hope he can
> put up with me some more sometime :)

> Actually, I was wondering about my purchase of KGT. I ordered it
> from Amazon.com, so technically, until they fill the order and
> ship it, the purchase isn't really finished (since I could cancel
> it). If I wanted to precisely convey this, what would be the best way?

> Angela

You can still use <-ta'> - I really doubt a Klingon would split that fine a
hair. You can describe the situation as thoroughly as you want. For example:

DaHjaj KGT vIje'. amazon.com-Daq vIDIl 'ej tugh vIHev 'e' vIpIH. jIHvaD
ngeHpa' amazon.com, vIneHbe' 'e' vIwuqchugh, vaj vIqIllaH 'ej HuchwIj
vISuqqa'. 'ach vIneHmo' vIqIlbe'bej.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ