tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 15 15:38:26 1999

Re: qepHom - any KLI members in the UK?

Sorry to leap in like this. My intent is not to be nit-picky,
but instead to nip in the bud something that Okrand has
explained very clearly.

On Sun, 15 Aug 1999 15:15:36 GMT "Gary Cowell (qIroS)"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> choHopbe'chugh vaj qepHomlIj vISaH 'e' vItul

{Hop} is a stative verb. It does not take a direct object. It's
not that it doesn't necessarily need one. It NEVER takes a
direct object.

It has basically three uses:

1. As a verb, the general assumption is that distance is being
measured from the person speaking. In your case, {bIHopbe'chugh}
would have been perfect. "If you are not far [from me]".

2. As a verb with a locative telling you where to base
measurements of distance from. {vengDaq bIHopbe'chugh} - "If you
are not far from the city". The state of being far is occurring
at the city. In other words, an observer at the city would say
that you were far.

3. As an adjective. {veng Hop vISuch.} "I visit a distant city."

{Hop} definitely does not mean "be far from". It just means "be
far". No direct object. Never. Okay?

> --
> qIroS  (Kirosh)  KLI #H1026
> http://www.mickley.demon.co.uk