tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 12 13:27:33 1999

Re: Vowels

On Thu, 12 Aug 1999 11:47:27 CDT Marc Ruehlaender
<[email protected]> wrote:

> consider, if you like, for the moment a writing system with
> glyphs for the following structures:
>
> ba   be   bI   bo   bu   -b
> cha  che  chI  cho  chu  -ch
> 'a   'e   'I   'o   'u   -'
> -rgh
> -w'
> -y'

I actually thought of this at one time. The symbols for ending
consonants would somehow fit (superscript, subscript or in a
uniform empty space in the middle) the cv initial symbol so that
you get one symbol space per syllable. Then I did the math. I
didn't want to memorize 129 distinct characters.

To be more accurate, I wanted to be able to type it and my
available keyboard just didn't cut it. I could actually have
handled the overprinting of characters in Fontographer just by
placing the closing consonants to the left of the point of
origin with a null character width, but finding a meaningful way
to type in 129 characters in any way that I could memorize... I
gave up.

Now, you have me going again. I just took the existing pIqaD
font and attached recognizable shapes from the right side of the
vowels and attached them to the right sides of the consonants.
The closing consonant could then be mirror image to the norm,
attaching to the initial consonant through these vowel lines.

It does to the alphabet what Riven numerals do to digits.

> then obviously Klingons might quite naturally think of
> syllable final consonants as being somewhat different
> from syllable-initial "consonants".
> (the "consonants" ba be bI bo bu e.g. different from -b)

Mirror imaged.

> They might even group -r with -rgh instead of with
> ra, re, rI, ro, ru, and sim.

The current "r" and "gh" fit together nicely and could be
combined easily.

> for -w, -w' and -y, -y'.
> then your earlier suggestion would make a lot of sense!
>
>                                            Marc Ruehlaender
>                                            aka HomDoq
>                                            [email protected]

charghwI'