tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 11 18:35:10 1999

RE: KLBC: Flagship

jatlh Angela:

> How would you designate a flagship? Would it be sufficient
> to use 'ejDo''a or can I form it as a compound noun,
> joqwI''ejDo' ?

Neither is a very good idea for "flagship". <'ejDo''a'> is a starship that
is significantly larger, more advanced, more powerful, better designed, or
just all around cooler than the average starship. Since a flagship is often
one of a number of nearly identical ships (maybe with a little spiffier
paint job), <'ejDo''a'> does not describe it very well. And given the very
negative connotations of the slang term <joqwI'>, I think it's best to stay
well away from anything with <joqwI'>.

Think about what a flagship is for a bit. It is the one ship in the fleet
that commands all the others. It is the ship the admiral is on. It is
probably the admiral's ship. As such, I think the following terms might
convey the idea. Feel free to substitute <'ejDo'>, <may'Duj>, or any other
more specific terms for <Duj> where they make sense.

ra'wI'
ra'wI' Duj
'aj Duj
Duj potlhqu'