tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 11 15:52:06 1999

RE: prefix trick.

jatlh muHwI':

> The FAQ says:
> __________________
> 3.11 What is the "prefix trick"?
>
>      jIHvaD paq yInob   -->  paq HInob
>      "Give me the book"
>
>      SoHvaD matlh vIpong --> matlh qapong
>      "I call you Maltz"
> ------------------

> Can someone explain me why it is {vIpong}? In the
> book-sentence, paq is the object of course. I give
> the Book. I give the book to you. But aren't you
> the one who I name? I name you! Or am I wrong with
> this point? Is this one of these "pab taQ" you just
> have to follow? (like {Say'moH}+{nIS} = Say'nISmoH)

That's just the way <pong> works. The object is the name, and the thing
named is the beneficiary (indirect object). The canon example is a skybox
card (S27) talking about the homeworld: <roD 'oHvaD juHqo' ponglu' neH.>

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ