tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 09 17:11:50 1999

Re: canon words

ghunchu'wI':
> Indeed, one [joke-word] exploded in our face when a few of us were
> lunching together at qep'a'. {tlher} "lumpy" seems to have a Leave
> it to Beaver connection.

qa'ral:
: It's been a while since I've watched *Leave It to Beaver*. Please let
: me in on the joke.

Voragh:
>Actor Jerry Mathers, who didn't play Lumpy though?

ter'eS:
: When I read this, I assumed you meant "Clarence", which sounds a little
: like {tlher}, and which was Lumpy's given name.

I'd forgotten that, though either derivation is possible for someone with
Okrand's devious sense of humor.

BTW, there's at least one other "Leave It to Beaver" joke in KGT: {warjun}
"type of knife (used for food preparation)".  He describes it as:

  "a {warjun} is a large, extremely sharp, square-bladed chopping
  implement (but for its short handle, it would probably be considered
  a kind of {'obmaQ} ["ax"])." (p.97)

I'll let all our North American readers to figure this one out on their own.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level