tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 09 17:05:21 1999

Re: KLBC: Imperative prefixes

In a message dated 8/6/1999 9:20:01 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

<<
 So long as you're wishing for weird imperatives, note also the Klingon
 lacks a "third-person imperative."  That's for stuff like "let there be
 light" and such.  When I think about it, Hebrew really does this, at least
 in "let there be light"; that verb-form is definitely third-person, and is
 definitely not indicative.  But for other verbs I think it would just use
 (something identical to?) the future tense, like with firs-person stuff.
 Esperanto as usual uses its imperative, even for things we'd think more of
 as "-jaj"-like, like "they should be happy" or commands "let him enter".

================
wovlu' 'e' yIchaw'.  'el ghaH 'e' yIchaw'.

Okay.  The imperative is still to the second person, not to a third person.
And, it takes two sentences (connected into one by the pronoun {'e'}).  So, I
see that Klingon can convey this concept, just without a third-person
imperative.

As to first-person plural imperative, not only does {Ha' + a hortatory-type
sentence} work for me, often the first-person singular imperative {HI-} feels
inclusive enough.

peHruS

Back to archive top level