tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 09 14:11:54 1999

Re: Aspect (was RE: KLBC-Fr.)

On Mon, 9 Aug 1999 02:33:16 EDT [email protected] wrote:

> And, just as frustrating is... whenever I use aspect only, no tense
> references whatsoever, in Klingon posts, you are one of the first to berate
> my usages.
>
> peHruS

Please trust that our response to your use of Type 7 suffixes is
not related to any personal problem with you. No one is trying
to be unfair to you. It is honestly the case that listening to
Okrand and reading Okrand, a significant number of people here
agree on use of Type 7 verb suffixes and your use of this suffix
frequently shows clear lack of understanding of what many of us
agree is appropriate use of this suffix.

The whole point of sharing a language is that we have to agree
on certain things so that we can understand each other. It is
frustrating when someone in our ranks not only uses something
like this in a way that we believe is wrong, but also often
"corrects" us when we agree that we are right.

We've tried explaining it and it just leads to ugly flame wars.
None of us really want that, either.

Frankly, we're at a loss of how to deal with it gracefully. I,
for one, am open to suggestions.

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level