tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 09 06:36:07 1999

Re: Palm Pilot

>Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 18:54:41 -0500
>From: Steven Boozer <[email protected]>
>
>> This may be a dumb question?!?  What is a Palm Pilot and/or a PDA?
>
>pIl'o':
>: Palm Pilot is a small hand held Personal Digital Assistant. A Palm Pilot
>: is one brand (with a few different models) of PDA. They range from about
>
>It appears that Star Trek's PADD has already arrived.  First it was the
>old-style flip top communicators (cell phones), now this.  Can tricorders
>be far behind?

Tricorders have been out for some time now.  When I was at the Star Trek
30th Anniversary celebration in Huntsville, AL in 1996, they already had
the Tricorder Mark I (the Mark VII is the one used in the show, I think).
It was a little hand-held doodad, which could measure stuff like light,
color, EM fields, etc... Actually worked, really.  I recall they said
something about how when they started building it and came to Paramount, it
turned out that part of Roddenberry's deal with them was that they had to
support technology like that in the show as it was developed (or something
sufficiently well-restricted to make sense).  So they wound up having to
permit these guys to call it a Tricorder, etc.  I probably have the flyer
for it someplace.

~mark

Back to archive top level