tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 06 21:36:31 1999

Re: canon words

ja'pu' Pillow:
>Has anyone compiled a list of these words?

I'm sure several people have extensive "joke-word" lists, but they're
typically not shared.

ja' Voragh:
>We all generally compile our own or annotate the dictionary.  While many
>people have suggested posting and maintaining a list of puns on the KLI
>website similar to charghwI's list of post-TKD words, the consensus on the
>list is that this would spoil the game for new members.  Discovering a new
>pun, or figuring out what the pun must be for words that sound suspicious,
>is part of the fun we get by playing with the language.

Besides, having an "official" pun list would tend to spoil the fantasy of
this being a language with real native speakers.  And some of the apparent
jokes can't be confirmed -- Okrand claims convincingly not to remember if
he did some of them intentionally.

>So as you notice
>them, feel free to share them with the list.  You may just notice one the
>rest of us have missed - which does happen from time to time.

Indeed, one of them exploded in our face when a few of us were lunching
together at qep'a'.  {tlher} "lumpy" seems to have a Leave it to Beaver
connection.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level